FIRE IN THE SEA arrives: reviews and where to buy a copy (updated)
Today is the big day: Fire In The Sea is now in shops all across Australia. I'm very excited about seeing it on shelves and equally thrilled (and terrified) that real people will soon have a chance to read it. I'll write more about this later in the week, but for now, here's a bit of a catch up.
Praise for Fire in the Sea:
‘Fire In the Sea is an awesome scary/funny/actiony/gory combo of myth and modern day Perth. I do like a bit of ancient evil!' Leanne Hall, author of This Is Shyness
‘Bartlett has created an exciting alternative world of gods and demons, but it is Sadie with whom the reader engages and who makes Fire In the Sea so credible.' The Age
‘At times violent, funny, clever and bizarre, Fire In the Sea is unique and brilliant.' ArtsHub
‘Imagine John Marsden and Suzanne Collins co-wrote a Narnian story. That’s the closest approximation I can make for the entirely unique story, tone, and feel of Fire in the Sea…It’s been too long since I was excited about a debut book. It’s been too long since there was a strong, new, male voice in the Australian YA scene. It’s been too long since I felt confident in recommending a book to an older teen (particularly male) audience. Thank you, Myke Bartlett and Text Publishing.’
SLV Centre for Youth Literature blog
‘It’s fast paced and exciting, violent at times but emotionally rich and interesting at others…A timely reminder that sometimes when stepping out of your comfort zone you get a rewarding surprise.’
Fairfieldbooks On Kids blog
‘I really shouldn’t be so surprised that another Text Prize novel is incredible, but I am. ‘Fire in the Sea’ is a fantastic new addition to the Aussie young adult paranormal scene – set in the beautiful (if lamentably dull) city of Perth, and featuring everything from sea sirens to crazy reincarnated boys. Myke Bartlett has written a parade of paranormal creatures and a thrilling sea-depths mystery … I, for one, hope that this is just the first of many more novels from an interesting new Aussie YA voice. 5/5’
Alpha Reader blog
‘A thrilling adventure with a Katniss Everdeen-style heroine…this is one showdown you won’t forget in a hurry!’
‘Fire in the Sea is a fantastic, action-packed adventure, blending the Australian setting of Perth with ancient mythology – definitely a book to check out if you’re a fan of Australian YA or paranormal stories.’
Vegan YA Nerds
‘Part romance, part fantasy and part adventure, the story races along.’
A few lucky people have already thumbed a copy and have kindly shared their thoughts. So far, the reviews have been wonderful. Here's a full list to date: (I've marked those that are a bit spoilery.)
ALPHA Reader (a bit spoilery, but nothing too revealing)
Vegan YA Nerds (a few spoilers here... or plot details, whatever you want to call them)
There are a few other reviews over at the Good Reads page. I encourage you to sign up (you can use your Facebook log in) and let us know what you think!
Buying the book
If you're wanting to get your hands on a copy, here are a few possibilities:
- Your local bookstore. Support your friendly neighbourhood bookseller. (Readings, Gleebooks, Collins, New Edition, Dymocks). They should be able to easily get in a copy if they don't already have one. (But why don't they already have one?)
- Text Publishing website. Shipping is free and quick, I'm told. eBook available.
- Your local bookstore. Really, support your local bookseller. That way they might get in more copies, which means browsers will be able to stumble across them.
- Readings Books. Shipping is free. (They also have real, brick and mortar stores.) eBook available.
- Penguin Books website.
- Or, if you're really into this internet shopping thing, there's Borders or Angus & Robertson.
- Your local bookstore. Have I mentioned this? Let them know you've read some great reviews!
If your favourite bookstore does have it in stock, let me know and I'll add it to the list.
- Text Publishing website. Shipping is free worldwide and quick, I'm told. eBook available.
- Amazon US or Amazon UK. The Kindle version is available to download. Seems a bit cheaper at the US site.
- Your local bookstore. They should be able to order in a copy if you give them the ISBN: 9781921922749
- Google Books
I'll update the list if I find others that I've missed.
At this stage, word of mouth is crucial to the book's success. If you enjoy the book, please let others know. Buy it as a birthday present. For several birthday presents. For Christmas presents. Instead of Easter Eggs.
If you've found yourself a copy, send me a pic! I'd love to put together a gallery.